Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Playing Catch Up- August part 3

What better way to finish off the month of August than a road trip back to my roots of ol' WY? It was SO nice to go home. Mom had a whole week off and I had a blast hanging with the parents and getting to spend time with friends I've had since kindergarten...
I went 4-wheeling with my parents and we found a HUGE herd of elk. May I just say, there is something simplistic and amazing in watching wild animals in their natural habitat. It made me so sad for every creature that is locked in a zoo. I could have watched these elk all day, it was phenominal! There was a patch of snow they kept prancing and playing on, it was so fun to witness!
And then they caught our scent, and suddenly, they were gone, like a flock of birds they moved so seamlessly together down the canyon... it was amazing
Mom, Dad, and I took a couple days and went to Yellowstone, I hadn't been there since I was probably 5, and it really is such a cool place! My dad was like a little kid in a candy shop, I could have mistaken that he was in Disneyland, it was so fun! I think it was 40-something degrees, and coming from 100+ in St. George, it was so rejuvenating!
Right after entering the park, we saw our first wildlife, up close and personal.... and right on the road... in the other lane to be precise...He was so pretty, and just truckin down the road, and then he glanced over at us... Dad panicked, and hit the gas and we were on our way on to the rest of Yellowstone!
We saw 5 or 6 waterfalls, a bunch of buffalo, a wolf (he was HUGE), 2 bears, Old Faithful Inn, and the famous Old Faithful... don't worry, it's still erupting!

And there were a few people there to witness the explosions with us...
to my left...

and to my right....
and in case you're wondering, yes, we ALL did 'The Wave' while we waited :)
Dad went to CO to do the Century ride so mom and I loaded the bikes in the truck and rode them down the old highway up above Ten Sleep... it's one of my favorite things to do... I love the Bighorn Mountains, they're where I grew up, and I truly believe they are a hidden treasure of WY!

No comments:

Post a Comment